Cycling in Valencia
Experience the road bike in Valencia
The Mediterranean weather and the contrast between the coastal plains and the interior mountains make Valencia an ideal starting point for cycling tours. You will discover secluded country roads and cities with a wide variety of routes of varying degrees of difficulty full of local cyclists. And you will be surprised by the respect of car drivers
You have the choice between flat routes through the Albufera Natural Park, mountain rides and mythical mountain passes, with quiet places inside two natural parks: the Sierra Calderona and the Sierra Espadán.
Take the opportunity to discover wonderful destinations, such as the castle of Sagunto and monumental places. And do not miss the contrast of landscapes and villages, with routes such as the Dos Aguas and Júcar river route. We will tell you nothing more. Come and discover what Valencia has to offer you.
VALENCIA IN THE SPAIN TOUR OF THE PROFESSIONALS
The province of Valencia has often been the backdrop for the tour of Spain for cycling professionals. The tour is one of the most important in the international calendar. The Sierra Calderona Nature Park, with its mythical mountain passes like El Pico del Águila or Chirivilla and the famous Oronet are, without any doubt, some of the greatest sights of the "Vuelta". From these mountain passes, 25 km away from the city, you can enjoy impressive views of the sea.
A CHOICE OF THE BEST MOUNTAIN PASSES AND ROAD ROUTES
The province of Valencia, like the rest of the region, is full of mountains in its interior, where mountain ranges and deep valleys of the main rivers meet. Just a few kilometres from the capital, we find mountains that climb more than 1,000 metres.
This is the selection of the five best mountain passes:
- El Oronet: In Serra, in the heart of the Sierra Calderona, the five kilometres long climb starts. Take the turn-off to the Mirador de Garbí vantage point to enjoy a fantastic view of the bay of Valencia, Castellón and the impressive mountains of the Sierra de Espadán.
- La Frontera: Also in Sierra Calderona mountains, this climb leads over the north side to the village of Estivella. It is a mountain pass recommended for well-trained climbers and bikes with the right gears. The views are more impressive with every metre of ascent-
- Alcublas: from the place Casinos or from Valencia the orange groves lead us to the first really high mountains in the northwest of the city. The first meters of ascent of the Puerto de Alcublas - mountain passes are the steepest. Then the ascent becomes flatter and more comfortable and the view to the bay of Valencia is incredible. On days with clear weather the view goes up to the Pico del Montgó in Denia (Alicante).
- Dos Aguas: this route starts in Llombay on a road towards Dos Aguas. There will be two mountain passes to drive the second part of the route after a break. From the mountain pass the driver can enjoy the view of Dos Aguas. The descent is incredibly fast and exciting. Extreme experiences on a mountain pass near Valencia.
- Barx and Barxeta: the summit of Momdúver in Gandía connects these two mountain passes that begin in Simat de Valldigna. The best option is to climb up to the Barxeta mountain pass and then continue to the Barx mountain pass. The good asphalt and the beautiful view of La Safor allow you to enjoy this climb. It is not a difficult mountain pass, with little traffic and especially suitable for training in the winter months. The second part of the route towards Barx is beautiful among dense Mediterranean forests. An incomparable landscape!
ROAD ROUTES BY BIKE
Here you will find the best road routes, sorted by difficulty. In the link below you can see exactly where these routes are, the best places to stop, where you can repair your bike, where you can buy equipment, and all the information about each route.
1. highest difficulty: four mountain passes.
2. High difficulty: between two mountain passes, north coast and the Sierras and Dos Aguas.
3. medium routes: Through the heart of the Sierra Calderona, across El Camp del Turia and the blue of the Mediterranean Sea.
4. low difficulty: the magic of the Mediterranean forest.
THE BIG BIKE EVENTS
It is a 250 km long route with 6,000 meters difference in altitude, divided into three stages of 70, 95 and 118 kilometers. It is one of the most scenic itineraries, allowing you to enjoy the panoramic view of the city, the "Huerta" landscape or the dunes, beaches and pine forests, centuries-old juniper trees or snow-capped mountains and gorges. The trip is aimed at drivers and clubs who want to prepare their season and cover kilometres at the beginning of the year, or to prepare for other challenges.
Registration for the Mitic Bike includes services such as mechanical and medical assistance on the road, post finish massage, daily classification, live Internet monitoring of each participant via geolocator, a windscreen vest for each participant, a medal for everyone who reaches the finish, escort vehicles, dinner and breakfast and fifteen food stations on the road.
With more than ten years of experience, it is a race for racing bike lovers of different levels.
The Marcha Ciudad de Valencia is the first race in Europe with start and finish in one city. Depending on the physical preparation of the participants, there are three different routes. The first route covers 185 kilometres and four mountain passes between Valencia and the Sierra Calderona mountains. The second route consists of 100 kilometres and two mountain passes, and the third route, 76 kilometres and one mountain pass.
In total, the route covers an altitude difference of 2,700 metres.
The day before the route, the Marina of Valencia will host events for the whole family, with a ride for the complete involvement of all people (with the option of participating in a tandem), a race for children and lots of games to fully enjoy this enclave of the city. You can book accommodation and services for your participation in the Marcha Ciudad de València at www.welcomebike.com The hotel offer is adapted to the needs of cyclists, with more flexible times, information on recommended routes, express cleaning. Special tools or storage room for bicycles.