Getting around and FAQ

Moving around the city 

If you're going to be staying in Valencia for a while, you need to know everything about how to get around the city and surrounding areas quickly, efficiently... and at the best price! These tips will let you juggle the commute to your school with visits to many of the landmarks that are within easy reach, all without breaking the bank and with low or no emissions. 

Public transit:

The best option for your daily commute is to get a Suma card (, a pass that lets you use all the public transit to move around the metropolitan area: metro, bus, subway network and metropolitan bus (MetroBus). It's much cheaper than buying single tickets. Just keep the zone map in mind to see what you need. As a general rule, zone A includes the stops located within the city limits and those in the regions of l'Horta; zone B includes other regions further away; and zone C is exclusively for the airport stop (Metro Aeroport). 

The most practical option is the monthly SUMA pass, which offers unlimited trips for 30 days for one zone or all three (€35 or 53). But if you're 30 or younger and you have the Carnet Jove or any of the European equivalents... bingo! You get 15% off the Jove SUMA monthly pass. Ah, to be young!

If your stay is going to be shorter, SUMA 10, a 10-trip ticket, will be your best option.

By bike:

Valencia is an ideal city for cycling with its more than 300 sunny days on average per year, no hills and a large network of biking paths… So move around on two wheels while you’re here. There's no shortage of choices.

VALENBISI holds the concession from the Valencia city hall. You can get long-term (annual) passes and there are numerous pick-up and return points on the street and throughout Valencia. The system is very simple. Once you have your pass, head to the nearest bike area and start pedaling. You can use it for 30 minutes at no extra cost before returning it.

In addition to ValenBisi, there is a wide range of rental options through different private companies at highly competitive prices. For example, you can get one from DoYouBike starting at €75 a month. Another option is Kleta, which offers monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual passes.


Cost of living 

Valencia is an affordable place to live. It will obviously depend on each person's lifestyle, but below is a list with the main aspects to consider: 

Housing for students 

This will be a big part of your monthly expenses. It will depend on the type of accommodation you select. The most affordable option is to share a flat, whose monthly cost will range from 250 to 350 euros per room. 


Valencia is full of supermarkets where you can do your weekly grocery shopping, as well as municipal markets for farm-to-table products. Wherever you live, there's probably one nearby. The cheapest supermarkets are Consum and Mercadona. 

Average monthly student expenses 

Valencia offers many leisure options. Lodging, transportation and food will cost you about €500-700 a month. From there, your total costs will vary depending on your lifestyle. Our recommendation is that you enjoy everything you can, which Valencia will make easy for you, but with restraint and within your budget. 


Health care in Valencia

  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC): you can apply for this card at the social security office of your country of origin. It guarantees the same health coverage as for a Spanish citizen.   

  • If you come from a country outside the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra or Monaco, there may be a health agreement between the two countries to cover basic health care. Countries such as Brazil, Ecuador, Chile, Morocco, Tunisia and Andorra have such agreements.   

  • If none of the above situations applies to you, you will need to take out private medical insurance in order to receive a student visa.  

Procedures and documentation needed to live in Valencia

1. Residence permit. 

2. Registration of address (empadronamiento). To do this, you have to go to the Valencia city hall and sign up in the municipal registry. You will need to submit:  

  • ID card, passport or residence card.  
  • Photocopy and original of the rental agreement, or of the authorization signed by the owner of the house where you live. Anyone who lives in the house and is registered in it can authorize you.  

3. TIE or Foreigner Identity Card. This is a personal card that provides proof that a foreigner is legally allowed to live in Spain. You can apply for one at the Immigration Office (Oficina de Extranjería), or, failing that, at a police station. To apply, you have to provide:  

  • Passport or travel document with entry stamp.  

  • Three recent color photographs on a white background, passport size 

  • Visa, if required.  

  • Ruling granting the authorization that justifies the issuance of the card.  

  • Proof of payment of the relevant fees.  

  • Proof of enrollment and/or registration with Social Security. 

Visas and permits

You will probably be required to have various documents in order to obtain study visas or permits:  

  • Visa application form.  

  • Valid passport or travel document.  

  • Affidavit that you have sufficient financial resources.  

  • If you are a minor, authorization from your parents or guardians.  

  • Documentation that proves that you have public or private health insurance that provides full coverage in Spain.  

  • Documentation proving admission to and/or enrollment in a public or private educational institution that is recognized or financed by the competent educational administration. Criminal background check. 

  • Foreign documents must be translated into Spanish or the co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted. They must also be authenticated by the Consular Office of Spain.  

Types of educational stays

You may access the Spanish education system if you engage in any of the following activities:  

  • Study at an approved school.  

  • Research and training activities.  

  • Participate in an international mobility program.  

  • Carry out non-work activities.  

  • Participate in volunteer programs.  

Degree validation

If, after your studies, you plan to continue your education (official studies) or you want to work in Spain, you will have to do the necessary paperwork to accredit the courses taken abroad and do the relevant translations.  

In this case, there are four processes that can be used to equate studies done abroad to the university degrees offered in the Spanish educational system:   

  • Validation 

  • Equivalence 

  • Professional recognition 

  • Accreditation 

Study grant

You can apply for different kinds of grants.  

If you are going to start your Bachelor's or Master's degree in Spain and you are a citizen of Spain or an EU member State, you may qualify for grants from the Spanish government. These grants may be for the tuition and/or for fixed amounts tied to the student's income, residence or academic performance. There are special grants for students with disabilities and for applicants who are victims of gender-based violence.   

The regional Ministries of Education also offer grants in addition to those of the Ministry of Education for the students from each region. 

University students can also apply for grants from private organizations, such as Banco Santander or the La Caixa Foundation.  

If you are a foreign university student, your university may have an academic mobility agreement with a university in Valencia, and you can do your Erasmus stay in the city. 

Opening a bank account

Bank accounts: in most cases, an NIE and residency registration (empadronamiento) will be required to open a bank account. There are bank branches on university campuses that streamline these processes.  


concierto en plaza toros
Valencia By Night
playa el saler Albufera chica paseando
Valencia's beaches: within the city limits or wild, the choice is yours!
Umbracle valencia
Concerts and music festivals in Valencia