Palacio de las Comunicaciones

Plaza del Ayuntamiento, 23; 46002 - Valencia

TOURISTIC AREA: Historical center

This four-story building with over 9,400 square meters of floor space is one of the most important examples of the city's historical legacy, and is on the list of Local Heritage Sites. It is an outstanding example of eclectic style of French origin, combined with elements of Valencian modernism and was home to the local post and telegraph office for many years.

Although it is currently located in the nerve center of Valencia, right in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento, in 1923, when it opened, it was part of the old fishermen's quarter, as evidenced by the nearby Calle de las Barcas (Boat Street).

It is the work of the prestigious Zaragoza architect Miguel Ángel Navarro Pérez and was built between 1915 and 1922. The allegorical figures that adorn its façade, both in the tympanum and in the crowning elements next to the clock, were intended to symbolize the progress that postal and telegraphic communications brought in its time. The five continents that symbolize international interconnections - a common thread in the history of this historic building - are recognizable.

One of the details that gives it more personality is its slender metal turret, recovered after the previous remodeling of the building. Its observation deck is topped with an ornate astrolabe. Inside, don't miss the large stained-glass window in the courtyard designed by the Maumegean brothers, consisting of three hundred and seventy panels with the coats of arms of the forty-eight Spanish provinces

Interest information

Get directions