Royal Garden & Viveros Garden
San Pío V s/n, 46010 - València
TOURISTIC AREA: Historical center
Originally established by the Arabs, the historic character of these gardens - their amplitude and splendour, the profusion of sculptures, monuments and fountains contribute to make it one of the most outstanding in the city. A palace which was used by various kings was built in the eleventh century in the oldest area of the gardens.
An important zoological collection was begun back in the fifteenth century. The park was bestowed to the city in 1903 to serve as a horticultural nursery, and its name is derives from this fact. The gardens have since been enlarged, with the addition of new fountains, shaded areas, benches, pavilions, news-stands and statues. It is worth mentioning the group of statues representing the four seasons embodied by Venus, Diana, Apollo and Chromos, sculpted in white marble by the Baroque sculptor Jacobo Ponazanelli.
The statue of Flora, with similar characteristics, can be found next to the bird cage. Opposite the entrance to the neo-classical garden of the San Pio V Museum there is a marble fountain from the Monastery of Valldigna and a Baroque style frontage from the ancient Collegiate church of San Bartolomé. The garden itself houses the reconstructed façade of the Palace of the Dukes of Mandas, from Calle Avellanas. Just a few meters from here there is another gateway from the Palace of the Counts of Alcudia or Moroder from the 18th century that was located in the Plaza de Tetuán.
The farmhouse of Canet is also worth a visit, as it is an example of typical rural Valencian architecture. The farmhouse is near two outstanding sculptures by José Capuz: "Idolo" and "Desnudo de mujer". The Natural Science Museum is also found within the gardens.
+34 963 525 478 - 4304